Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Chicken Mummy!


For history, we have been studying ancient Egypt. We learned about pyramids, pharaohs and mummies. I really liked learning about those things!

I think the mummification process is yucky, but I wanted to know more. My mom looked on the computer for a way to make our very own mummy. We needed a chicken from the grocery store, lots and lots of salt, ziploc bags and a lot of patience. It is going to take us 6 weeks before the mummy is done, and so far it's only been 2 weeks.
To make our mummy, first we took the insides out of the chicken and filled the inside with salt. Next, we filled the bag with a little salt too. Then we put the chicken in the bag and covered it all the way up with salt. We used 4 whole salt containers!
Our mummy is in our basement right now and I think it's drying out because of the salt. In a few days we will have to change the bag and put new salt in. I'm afraid it might be a little gross.

We'll see what our mummy looks like after 4 more weeks!

1 comment: